Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dad.....

Yesterday I was with my Dad almost one whole day. I took a day off to accompany him for his CT scan. Spending the whole day with him was something that I have never done for a very very long time. Somehow or rather, i feel that my Dad now is not the same as before.

I wasn't really close to my Dad all the years that I was growing up. In fact even now we are not really close but of course better as compared to when I was still living at home. He was never really one who assist on homeworks, he never gave pep talks, didn't actually spend time for family days - those were Mom's job. I always consider him as this authoritative figure that my brothers and I respect all the while.

I never really actually thought that my Dad will be "old". Yesterday was an eye-opener for me. I realised that his movements are becoming slow; his memory is not as good as it used to be, his hearing is getting bad and he looks so fragile. I have not actually fathom this fact yet. How did this happen? I still have not gotten over the fact that he is actually having cancer. My Dad was a strong, independant person.

It scares me knowing the fact that this is happening and there will be a day that my Dad would eventually have to be dependant on me and my brothers. I'm not prepared for it yet.....

So Dad, these are the words that I want to say to you but i can't bring myself say them to you....

"Dad, I know that I have not been a good and filial son. There are a lot of things that I should have done but I did not. I wish that I can give you and Mom a better and good life as both of you should be enjoying the fruit of your labour in raising 3 boys. I still remember how we as a family got by with whatever little that you've provided us. I may not get the video game that I asked for; I may not get the mountain bike that all my friends had then and I may be using all the hand-me-downs from koko, but I am grateful that you have brought to where I am today.

I'm sorry for all the time that I have caused you pain and heartache;
I'm sorry for all the time that I went against your wishes and disobey you;
I'm sorry for all the time that I have lied to you;
I'm sorry for all the time that I have disappointed you.

And I'm sorry for being for being gay.... I hope that you'll never live to to find about this knowing that it will cause you more pain, heartache and dissappointment. I hope one day you'll find that you're happy with my life and at peace with every choice that I've made.

I can never really say this to you but I really would like you to know that I love you."

Dunno why I'm so sappy today.....

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I believe it's quite common that Asian families are not as warm as those in Western countries, though there are some exceptional case. My relationship with my family members especially my parents are not that good anyway. To them, I may not a good son. I never share any of my life to them. Anyhow, I still appreciate and thankful to them as they raised me up and gave me proper education.

It's never too late to rebuild your relationship with your father again. Spend more time with him and ensure he can sense your presence of love to him.

Lifebook said...

Spend more time with him. You will get to know him better in person.